Frequently Asked Plumbing & Drain Questions
Have more questions about your plumbing systems? Give us a call! We’d be happy to help.
» How Can I Troubleshoot My Water Heater?
- When it comes to your water heater, it’s nice to know a quick fix to hold you over until a professional can repair your system. Be sure there’s no gas or electricity running to your appliances when attempting a fix. Here are some steps you should try to get your unit back up and running:
- If your unit is run by gas, ensure that the pilot light is on. If it’s out, ensure you have enough natural gas supply. Follow the directions on your tank to relight the pilot light.
- If your unit is electric, locate the reset button on your unit. Reset the unit to see if that fixes your problem.
- Ensure the valve connected to your system is all the way open.
- If you notice mineral deposits or sediment clogging your system, you can flush it with a hose.
» What Should I Do if I Have a Water Line Leak in My Home?
- If you have a water leak, you might be wondering what your next steps should be. Whether the leak is big or small, here’s what you should do:
- Locate your main shutoff valve.
- If you cannot locate the main shutoff, you can also attempt to shut it off through your water meter.
- Call your plumber after locating the shut-off valve to schedule a repair service.
» My Water Pressure is Low. What Could be the Issue?
- If your water pressure is low, you could be facing a few issues. First, check your supply line and valve and be sure it is in the all the way open position. Next, check the aerator. If you notice it’s clogged, clean out any sediment using a solution of your choice. If you still have low water pressure, or are having an issue with high water pressure as well, give us a call.
» How Do I Fix a Leaky Faucet?
- Leaky faucets can be annoying. Here are some quick fixes you can try while waiting for a plumbing professional:
- Turn off the valve under your sink by turning the knob.
- Turn on your faucet to allow it to drain any remaining water.
- Remove the handle using a screwdriver. You may need to unscrew or pry up the handle.
- Remove the cartridge, also known as the stem.
- Visit your local hardware store to purchase a new one.
- Install the new stem and replace the handle.
» How Can I Troubleshoot My Garbage Disposal?
- Before working on your garbage disposal, make sure any power to it is turned off.
- First, check to see if the disposal is plugged in correctly.
- Attempt a reset by locating and pressing the red reset button located on your unit.
- Check your service panel to see if the circuit is tripped. If so, reset the breaker related to your disposal.
- Inspect your unit for signs of loose wires.
» What Are the Benefits of Gas Appliances?
- Although many homeowners have made the switch to electric appliances, there are many reasons you may want gas appliances in your home:
- Enjoy warmer temperatures from heaters that run on gas.
- Enjoy precise temperature control when using a gas stovetop to cook meals.
- Have access to your appliances in the case of an outage or natural disaster.
- Enjoy savings as many gas appliances cost less to run than their electric counterparts.
- Enjoy safe and effective power.
» What Are Some Warning Signs That I Need Sewer Repair?
- If you have the odd clog every now and then, you can attempt DIY fixes at home using a drain snake. However, if you notice recurring clogs that aren’t helped by DIY methods, you may have a sewer line problem. Here’s what to look out for:
- Mushy, flooded lawn
- Patches of bright green grass.
- Foul odor of sewage on property.
- Increased presence of pests.
- Dips or recesses in your lawn.
If you’re having issues with your plumbing, call River City Plumbing in Memphis, TN. We service Fayette and Shelby County. Call today at 901-466-8429.